Bike Trip Across America

Friday, July 28, 2006

Minot (say Why not)

Minot Public Library, 4:35 on the edge of Rocky Mountain Time. Charge for use of the computer, $2.00. Everything else, priceless!

Sometimes the wind is your friend, and today it was mine! I made the 73 miles into Minot quite easily with a good tailwind most of the way. Stopped at a small cafe along the way for breakfast, and as seems to be the way here, half the town was in the same cafe enjoying a leisurely breakfast and a lot of banter about seeds, "pieces of ground", harvests, the weather. I in my bright yellow shirt and shorts was quite an interruption to the normal flow of things I'm sure. Got to meet the former superintendent of schools, now retired. In this small town about 15 years ago they had 350 students in their K-12 school. Now they're down in the 90's. North Dakota is experiencing rural flight--to its cities and beyond. A major (felt) school problem is sports! So few kids, so many miles to travel for games, and the price of gas have all created perfect storm conditions to decimate their beloved sports. By the way, baseball is big, big, big here. Even the smallest town has a well kept ball field and I have seen them used a lot.

Did you know the western mile is longer than the eastern mile? Well it is! Today, again, I spied grain elevators on the horizon, a sure sign the next town is coming up. They look like they're 1, maybe 2 miles away. In fact they're 6 or 7. And when you feel like you're close enough to reach out and touch them, they're still a mile away!

Am staying at a motel right across from the North Dakota State Fair which wraps up this weekend. I'll check it out tonight. Cally and Chris---Keith Urban (hope I got the name right) was at the fair last weekend! I've rented a car that I'll pick up out at the airport tomorrow and will be on my way with 4 wheels to Great Falls Montana and then on the Lewis and Clark bike route.

Love to all. I'll see if I can get pictures transferred to CD this weekend as I go 4 wheeling (meaning not on the bike!) On to Montana!!!

6 Comments:

  • Been watching your travels,Lowell, I know exactly what you mean by a Western Mile! Got an elk in Colorado that I paced at 525 yards and I would of guessed it about 200 yards.Doing good,so much for the birthday in N.D.!

    Dave Gauthier

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Friday, July 28, 2006  

  • Your are finally getting to the part of the country that I am very familair with. Montana is liek a second home-and I remember many car trips going across the Dakotas.
    If you are in the mood to see a great play-stop at Big Fork when you are in Montana.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Saturday, July 29, 2006  

  • Hi Lowell...This is Alicia in Luther, Mich again. We received your phone message. Sorry we were not here to speak with you. Thank you for keeping in touch. We are following your daily blogournal. Do you like my new word?
    We'll continue to follow your travels and adventures.
    Alicia
    & Barry

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Saturday, July 29, 2006  

  • Lowell, talked to Betsy last night. She told me about the "little" flood on your street. Glad to hear you are using a car, especially after reading about that storm! Can't wait to hear about the Rockies! Remember our trip? Love ya! jane

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Sunday, July 30, 2006  

  • Lowell

    Just returned from my vacation on the Cape and checked in to see how your travels were progressing. I read the last few days and the bit about the storm. I grew up in Illinois so I know about those storms. The Cape was beautiful, eighty degrees with a nice breeze. Did a lot of biking and took two runs with Bill Perrault. We were camping with Bill and Kathy. Olivia joined us for the last weekend.

    Going tomorrow to the WCSU retreat in Killington to see if I can get some other bikers lost.

    Keep pedaling.

    Tim

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Monday, July 31, 2006  

  • Dear Lowell: So happy you are safe and decided to rent a car. I too have traveled out west and was amazed at how flat the country was and that you would drive for miles and feel like you weren't getting anywhere. The Rockies are magnificent. I was fortunate to fly over them several times and even took a helicopter ride with a group a senior citizens. The mountain ranges go on and on. How the early settlers ever found their way over/through them is incredible.

    I think of you often. There were a large group of bikers in No. Hero this past weekend. I should have asked them about their trip but I question my French as it has been a long time since I conversed with anyone in French.

    God speed. Stay safe. Hugs, Diane

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Tuesday, August 01, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home