Bike Trip Across America

Thursday, July 27, 2006

Grain Elevator Capitol of the North Dakota

Location: Harvey Public Library. Temperature about 92. Wind direction: out of the Northwest 10-20 mph. Direction of travel: Northwest on Highway 52 (unfortunately). Sometimes you win with the wind, sometimes you lose. Today I lost big time!

Will again stay at a city campground. Haven't been there yet but the librarian tells me it has facilities, hookups (like I need them), and showers (like yes, I do need one of those!). These city parks are a great thing. I guess the history is that in many North Dakota towns the railroad came first and then the towns sprung up along the rail lines. City parks were part of the original layout of the towns, I guess to facilitate travel. All services are free or you leave a donation. As far as I can tell there don't seem to be problems with abuse of the system. You just can't stay more than a week--then your welcome wears out!

So I'm poking around in a cemetery this morning, taking a break for food, drink, and shade (cemeteries always have trees, a rare and valued resource along the highways) when I look up and realize I'm staring at a herd of buffalo! There must have been 30 or so, from babies to behemoths! Fortunately there was a fence between us. After a few pictures (buffalo love to pose and show off their manly beards) I went back to checking gravestones. As I examined dates, this thing, this creature, this jerry-rigged cross between a rabbit and a kangaroo darts out from behind the stone, does a few quick jumps and right angle turns and other diversionary tactics (as though he needed them with me!) and scooted out to the "wild side" with the buffalo. My first encounter with the much feared western jackrabbit!

Had a great experience visiting the little town of Manfred on my way into Harvey. You can't see Manfred from the highway, it's hidden behind the rise where the rail tracks run, but Manfred is a nearly deserted town that a local group is trying to preserve. It was eerie, but in a good way. A wonderful lady whose grandparents settled the town showed me around and explained some of Manfred's history. Within the square block that makes up the center of this nearly extant town are 4 elderly houses in various states of disrepair, a falling in hotel, a brick bank built in 1906 I believe, and the old dry goods store, and an abandoned grain elevator (there's an operational one just up the road). I have pictures. In this part of North Dakota most towns were founded about a hundred or so years ago. Many of them have seen the life times of only 2-3 generations and are now being abandoned as younger folks move to where the jobs are and farming becomes more mechanized and large scale. The pictures my hostess showed me spoke of a vibrant time of large family gatherings, hard work, and optimism for the future. I wish the "founders" every success in preserving this bit of history. Corinne, a special challenge to you. Can you find anything on the internet about Manfred North Dakota. Good luck!

My best to all. I hope tomorrow the winds will be kinder as I head toward Minot. If they are, I may be in Minot tomorrow evening. If not, it will take two days. From there I'll plan my travels to western Montana to resume biking there.

3 Comments:

  • Hey spandex guy....they probably have never heard of spandex in the ghost towns of N.D. I'm glad the buffalo were behind the fence and the jackalope was more afraid of you than you were of it. I'm glad I wasn't with you for the "big storm", it sounds like it was 10 times bigger than the one we encountered on our way into Clayton. You needed more than the roof overhang of the local realtors office. Please remember what this "midwestern gal" has told you about ditches and culverts during tornados. Miss you much. Love Betsy
    P.S. Lee says..."don't worry about the weed wacking every three weeks...just do it once before he gets back..the yard looks great".

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Thursday, July 27, 2006  

  • There's a Manfred Heritage Museum just east of Harvey. Free admission. Their site http://www.manfrednd.org/mhp.asp?area=home has historical info on Manfred including biographies of families.

    Is it West Side Park that you're staying at?

    This weekend Native Tongue is playing for the Barre Homecoming http://www.nativetonguerocks.com and only taking a break for fireworks :) Have you happened upon any local celebrations or festivities so far that you've been able to enjoy?

    Corinne

    By Blogger Corinne's blog of Berlin and area happenings, at Thursday, July 27, 2006  

  • That jackalope suonds so scary lowell. Did the buffalo blow in your face? i wish u the best luck with the wind.

    love carly

    P.S. Miss u. Have fun!!!!!!!!!!!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Friday, July 28, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home