Bike Trip Across America

Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Well greetings all from Carrington Public Library, Carrington ND. Yesterday covered 93 miles to Cooperstown (where they have the Minor League hall of fame :) and today a more leisurely 50 miles to Carrington.

Yesterday! In all my life I have never, ever, ever seen or been in a storm like the one I experienced. I was in the middle of prairie country with no visible farms, power lines, side roads when the sky grew blacker. And then blacker. I pedaled furiously to try to get to something, anything that might offer shelter. And then it got really, really black as I reached a dirt road that lead off the highway about a quarter mile to a farm. I never made the 1/4 mile on my bike. I couldn't stay on it. As I approached the farm I held on for dear life and barely, I mean just barely, made it to an open metal barn. Then the heavens broke loose. Sideways rain and then hail. Wind that I thought would blow the barn over. And it all happened so suddenly.

Which all brings me to the Wizard of Oz. You know the opening scene when the tornado hits. It has always seemed contrived, how quickly the weather changes in the show. Well it isn't. That's what the weather does here. One minute you're safe and the next you're in wind that makes you want to climb in a cellar or throw your arms around a flag pole. And that whole deal with the shimmering Oz appearing after their long walk down the yellow brick wall. Well out here as you approach a town the first thing you see is these humongous metal grain elevators. They shimmer in the distance, arising from the prairie like some lone sky scraper. You think you're just a mile from town, but actually you're six! And these elevators do have the look of a mystical apparition. Anyway, I understand Dorothea a whole lot better than I used to! I get where she's coming from!

Yeah, I know I'm in ND not Kansas. Am headed to Minot from whence I'm thinking I might get on a train, bus, or rent a car to get to Great Falls or thereabouts. I've heard nothing but bad things about eastern Montana, a hostile and harsh environment, physically and otherwise. Towns and water stops are few and far between. Part of me doesn't want to interrupt the trip this way. But a bigger piece of me says that challenges are good but to avoid unnecessary risks. If I were 20 years younger or traveling with others my choice might be different. And I'm very anxious to see (and climb?) the Rocky and Sawtooth Mountains.

Anyway, feel very good. Will camp out tonight in another city park. All people along the way have been great and full of stories and wisdom and foolishness to share. My love to all. Hi Carly, enjoy those blueberries and beans while they're still there. Hi Barry in Luther, I will call. Hey, Cally--you would just love meeting all these people along the way (the biking part I'm not so sure!). Diane, hope your summer is going well and know that I am safe. Betsy, hope the news on your dad is good and say hello to Brook for me and give him a hug (if it's not against the rules!)

3 Comments:

  • Hi,

    I just wanted to say I think it's really cool that you're doing this bike trip! I hope it all goes well.

    Cheers,

    Lauren

    By Blogger Lauren Brazeal, at Wednesday, July 26, 2006  

  • Hi,

    I think if you start to see Glenda the good fairy it might be the heat is getting to you! Also not sure how good you will be able to bike with those Ruby Red Slippers on so watch out for falling houses! Glad to hear you are still pluggin along and doing great! Kudos to you! Brenda!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Wednesday, July 26, 2006  

  • Hey Lowell -

    WOW - what a storm! So glad you found some shelter. Interesting new perspective to Wizard of Oz. When that movie used to only be on yearly I would watch it every year... now that I have a copy of it on my shelf it just sits there... I think I need to find time to watch it again.

    You're making a good choice about transportation through territory you're receiving warnings about... I think as long as you do some biking in a state that covers you as far as the pledges! It will give you a chance to just sit back and enjoy some scenery, do additional journaling or maybe have time for an afternoon resting of the eyes.

    Glad to help with the maps which we had talked about but I hadn't figured out where I could make them. So glad Mapquest was working on solving that for me!
    I would be glad to help you with a slideshow when you get back - you mentioned that in a previous posting and I hadn't responded.

    Wishing you a continued safe and healthy trip.

    Corinne

    By Blogger Corinne's blog of Berlin and area happenings, at Wednesday, July 26, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home