Bike Trip Across America

Monday, July 17, 2006

From the Heart of America's Other Dairy Land



These folks take sports seriously! Berlin? Montpelier? Sunset on Lake Michigan

Ludington from the ferry
Brewery in Manitowoc in the land where beer is king!

What is the meaning of the three letter word "hot?" It's been in the upper 90's for the past 3 days, a stiff wind continues from the west and southwest and progress is painful! I type tonight from a motel in Wausau, yes the one you see on commercials. Smack dab (now where does that expression come from?) in the middle of Wisconsin. Tomorrow will be less hot (in the mid 80's). The challenge will be finding a place to stay. I see no campgrounds or motels between here and Eau Claire, my next major town which unfortunately is 90 plus miles away. Oh well, all part of the adventure! Stay tuned.
Met an inspirational fellow today name of Leland Carroll. I met Leland while biking this morning from Shawano to Wausau. Leland is aiming to bike 7000 miles this year! He's well on his way toward his goal having begun with 19 biking days in January. Rides 20-30 miles per day and more on weekends when he gets together with this buddies from Shawano for a longer ride. Leland worked at a 4 wheel drive shop and raised 10 kids. Now here's the kicker---Leland is 72 years old, born in 1934. Part American Indian and part German. (There's a large Indian reservation just north of here.) Leland biked with me a short way to get me started on his suggested local route (always better than the map route), and I asked him to go slow, for my sake. Leland, I hope you get to read this. I know you don't like computers too much but maybe that daughter of yours will help you get on the site!

My prayer for the day, that the wind abates and the temperature drops! Otherwise I'm a cooked goose. For some reason I'm reminded of the advice my cross country coach gave me in high school. Lowell, he said, the good Lord is going to run have this race for you. Don't you forget it. All you have to do is pick them up and the Lord will put them down! Love to all. Lowell, in the heart of Wisconsin's dairyland.

4 Comments:

  • Less hot is still HOT. I love reading your blogs-you and Betsy always have so much energy.
    You are an inspiration to all the people thinking about getting off their duff.
    I wonder what exciting thing I will be doing when I turn 60?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Monday, July 17, 2006  

  • Well, Well, I look at this site almost everyday and find it quite interesting each day I read it and laugh and my family can't understand why I laugh at the computer, so now Caitlyn reads it also so we can laugh together. I can't imagine biking in this weather, I know how hot it's been here and it really bother my asthma. The thought of peddling 90 miles a day makes me tired. Lowell this a journey that will have memories forever. Maybe when you get a chance you could come to Berlin and show your pictures to the students who where so interested in your journey. Keep Cool if possible, our prayers are with you. Keep Safe.
    Linda

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Tuesday, July 18, 2006  

  • Gotta love Wisconsin...cheese and beer. Did you get your cheesehead yet? Looks like the weather was much improved for your journey today. Looks like we might be in for a little cool down as well. Hope the wind is at your back today. Miss you. Love Betsy (CArly and Luke say hello)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Tuesday, July 18, 2006  

  • Hi Lowell...This is Alicia from Luther, Mich. I follow your blog daily. Looks like you are in for some real heated days going all the rest of the way into Oregon. I think you are wise to hitch a ride of some sort across the unforgiving and uninhabited stretches of territory you are now facing. Be safe. Not Dorothy-like
    ...what a narrow escape!! Alicia

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Wednesday, July 26, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home