Bike Trip Across America

Thursday, June 29, 2006

June 29 Massena

Woke up in the morning to pouring rain. But after a visit to the Malone library and a late breakfast we set off to Massena under better conditions. The road to Massena turns out to be a New York state designated bike route and it was wonderful! Relatively light traffic and a huge 12 foot shoulder. A biker's dream. Am told by a park guy that the designated route continues all the way to Clayton where we're headed to rendezvous with our friends (newlyweds!) John and Fran. So far, the roads in New York are much safer for cyclists than those in Vermont!

Flat tire on the way into Massena meant a couple of miles of walking to our motel. Patch kit didn't work so used my replacement tube, the only one I have! I hope for no more flat tires today or we're out of luck!

I want to say something about libraries. I'm actually appreciating the fact that I do not have a blackberry. That fact caused me to find the library in Malone and go inside and meet the wonderful folks there. The library itself was a gem, similar in look and feel to my beloved Kellogg-Hubbard (not quite that good!). I look forward to more such opportunities as I bike along. Public libraries show the best side of our communities.

Will take pictures today for tomorrow's post! Lowell

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home