Bike Trip Across America

Wednesday, June 28, 2006

June 27, On to Malone


A "swimmingly good day" (where does that expression come from?) despite an ominous morning forecast of more rain, only a few drops fell though the bikes got quite wet where we left them right beneath the eaves of the "Cozy Corner Restaurant" on the outskirts of Plattsburgh. There we had our second breakfast. Me, oatmeal, Betsy homefries--go figure! Excellent biking on route 190--though busy with traffic, there was a nice wide shoulder. Along the way spotted huge antlered elk enclosed in a field with a 12' fence. They were friendly (curious?) and sauntered toward us as we took pictures. Later heard they are used for hunting. How absurd, to hunt such beautiful huge critters enclosed in a fence, unafraid of people.

The road from Plattsburgh to Malone is mostly uphill--gradual but unrelenting. A big issue here is wind power. Based on the signs we saw on lawns and a couple of conversations with locals there seems to be quite a divide. They certainly have the natural resource though, as we were buffeted all day by strong gusty winds that made biking and remaining on the road very challenging.

One big road scare. A huge dog, and I mean huge, came barreling across a wide lawn toward me faster than I've seen any dog run and totally focused on killing me I'm sure! I was on the far side of the road from this beast. As he charged me an 18 wheeler flew down rt. 190 in the opposite direction we were riding. I was sure he'd kill the dog. Somehow, I don't know how, the truck came between the dog and me (timing is everything!) and the dog survived though I did see him limping back toward his home. The owners were infuriated, coming out of their trailer screaming at the dog. Why do they keep such a vicious animal, untethered, so close to a busy highway?

Covered 60 miles, and as I said it was a challenge. Was it the constant uphill, the wind, or this being day two, or some combination? Vitamin I (ibuprophen) helped relieve the aches and pains. Made it to Malone about 4:00. Our motel has wireless, but no computer for patrons.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home