Bike Trip Across America

Friday, June 09, 2006

June 8

Rain, rain, rain. I had planned to do much more cycling than I've managed to get ready for this trip. But I've been convinced (wisely or unwisely) that beginning the trip itself will be training for the rest of it. Actually, I have managed some trips, one per weekend, in the mileage range I hope to accomplish.

I was so excited on Wednesday (the sun was actually shining!) on a quick ride to Middlesex to see so many cyclists on the road. All ages, solos and groups, chicly dressed (is that a word!?) and those attired more like myself in shorts and tee shirt--riding, waving, smiling. I must have seen 40 cyclists on a trip where I'm used to seeing 4. I hope it's a sign of a resurgence of interest in cycling for fitness and transport. It may just have been the flowering of pent up cycling fever of so many rain drenched enthusiasts. But maybe we are at the dawning of a new age of wheelmen (and women)!

Have much enjoyed visiting all the classrooms at Berlin Elementary to tell the kids about biking and my proposed trip. I think it was really engaging to the kids, though they understood it at all different levels. This afternoon I visit kindergarten with my bike and then will head home after school on the bike with all the gear packed. Guess what! It's all downhill. I think I'll make it. :) Lowell

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home